[Novalug] CentOS Dead?

Aaron Porter atporter@gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:42:55 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Matt Ryanczak <ryanczak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've played with Scientific Linux and it looks good. I think it will
> make a good replacement for CentOS if it comes to that. I'm in a Debian
> shop these days but that does not stop me from wanting a viable RHEL
> clone (that is not Oracle, sorry Larry).

It'll be a little interesting seeing how these community efforts
continue to cope, RedHat has taken a few small, but telling steps to
make the whitebox clones (and Oracle) do a lot more work. Shipping
kernel source as an altered tree rather than pristine w/patches[1]
eg... I can understand the motivation, but it does feel like they're
ceding the moral high ground.

1] http://lwn.net/Articles/430098/