[Novalug] question about asus eeepc 700 and youtube

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Mon May 2 14:48:07 EDT 2011

On Sun, 1 May 2011, Andrew Beals wrote:

> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy@bicha.net> wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/11 21:42, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>>>
>>> the linux asus eee pc 700 appears to be the minimal asus netbook.
>>> manufactured in 2007. a friend brought  one over today because it no
>>> longer will play youtube videos. youtube displays a notice that the
>>> browser version is outdated and no longer supported.
>>>
>>> with a lot of googling I figured out how to update the Firefox browser
>>> from 2.0.0.9 to 2.0.0.11. i also figured out how to turn on full
>>> desktop mode and enable the synaptic package manager.
>>>
>>> a number of discussion on the eee netbook forum give instructions fpr
>>> upgrading to firefox 3. however the specialized scripts ask for some
>>> dependencies that are no longer on line.
>>
>> Firefox 3 is obsolete and so is your friend's operating system. As Jon
>> says, the computer is not worthless; it just needs a newer and more
>> fully-featured operating system.
>>
>> I don't recommend Ubuntu 11.04 for it though, but maybe something like
>> Ubuntu 10.10 or Lubuntu would work well.
>>

> And stuff a 2GB stick ($30 @ Microcenter) of RAM in it while you're at it.

not easy -according to the google searches i did the ram in the asus eeepc
700 is soldered to the mb - not socketed

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com