[Novalug] [OT] Skype phones

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Sun Mar 13 16:54:42 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:13:53PM -0400, Rich Goodwin wrote:
> I am considering getting a Skype phone (WiFi preferred) but don't see
> alot of new ones being listed.   Does anyone have hands on experience
> with some?  Can you share?

i am using a skypephone happily.  i use it to call the states for
dirt cheap.  others with the skypeid can call directly to a "regular"
phone set.  it handles just like a phone, but works over skype.  it has a
base unit which plugs into a wired network and multiple wireless handsets
(i currently have three).  it uses it's own protocol not 802.11 based.

it's not bad.  my biggest beef with it is that the display never sleeps.
late at night when all the lights are out, it displays an annoying glow.

when i first got it there was a stupid TZ problem that wouldn't go away,
but it magically stopped happening about two years later.  many vendors
get confused with the UTC+12 TZ so that's not surprising.

it has one land line too.  when dialing you can choose skype or land line.
i find this convenient so that i don't need two phones.

frankly, i don't have to manage it all which is the best thing i can
say about it.  it just works which is nice.  i think it was the netgear
SPH unit(s).

oh, and as a side note i have skype to go on my mobile.  i dial into the
skype network and make calls from my mobile for the normal skype rate.

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com