[Novalug] magic sauce for nm alias

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sat Mar 12 21:02:03 EST 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 04:45:14PM -0500, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> On 3/10/2011 8:24 AM, Jason Kohles wrote:
> >On 3/9/11 4:57 PM, "Jon LaBadie"<novalugml@jgcomp.com>  wrote:
> >
> >>I'm on Fedora 14 trying to get the NIC to respond to
> >>an alternative IP.  I can manually setup eth0:1 and
> >>attach a service to it.  But even though it sees both
> >>eth0 and eth0:1, Network Manager (nm) will not manage
> >>both.  In fact on reboot or restart of networking,
> >>eth0 comes up with the IP I want on eth0:1.  Any time
> >>I ask (via nm-applet or nm-connection-editor) to
> >>activate one or the other, one is disabled while the
> >>other is activated.  I.e. only one can be active at
> >>a time.  At least according to my results with nm.
> >>
> >>Whats the magic sauce to getting nm working properly
> >>with eth0:1.  Or should I disable nm and write my own
> >>boot scripts to start networking?
> >>
> >>Jon
> >
> >You don't even have to write your own scripts if you don't want to use
> >NetworkManager.  Removing NetworkManager is one of the first things I
> >do when setting up servers, it's really not useful if your network
> >information never changes.  Without it installed you still have the
> >ifup/ifdown commands to manage the network.
> >Jason Kohles, RHCA
>
>  I must agree. While NM is a great concept, I have my issues with
> it. I have had troubles configuring it (what do you mean "never
> used"? I just told you (NM) all about it). It's not clear what NM's
> config files actually DO or how to edit them manually. And the
> Networking GUIs are pretty bad too.
>
> OTOH, it's good for certain things, such as switching from Ethernet
> to the Wireless Net when you walk your laptop down to a conference
> room for meetings.
>
> But if your computer isn't gonna move, I wouldn't use it.
>
> JIM

I had an issue with it on my laptop too.  I was replacing my Verizon
supplied router with my own and wanted to be connected by wire to
one router and ethernet to the other (different IP ranges).  But
whenever I had nm activate one interface, it deactivated the other.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing