[Novalug] booting Ubuntu Server on a PCI SATA card 3112a Satalink

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Fri Mar 11 12:28:30 EST 2011

Miguel,

Could any of the cards be PCI-E?

I looked this over: "A key difference between PCIe bus and the older PCI, is
the bus topology. PCI uses a shared parallel bus architecture, where the PCI
host and all devices share a common set of address/data/control lines. In
contrast, PCIe is based on point-to-point topology, with separate serial links
connecting every device to the root complex (host). Due to its shared bus
topology, access to the PCI bus is arbitrated (in the case of multiple
masters), and limited to 1 master at a time, in a single direction.
Furthermore, PCI's clocking scheme limits the bus clock to the slowest
peripheral on the bus (regardless of the devices involved in the bus
transaction). In contrast, a PCIe bus link supports full-duplex communication
between any two endpoints, with no inherent limitation on concurrent access
across multiple endpoints."

Anything stand out that might apply to your situation?

Jay