[Novalug] booting Ubuntu Server on a PCI SATA card 3112a Satalink

Miguel González Castaños miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es
Tue Mar 8 09:55:54 EST 2011

Dear all,

   I have a Dell Optiplex 260 with only ATA support. I bought a cheap
softraid SATA card 3112a PCI card and I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a
500 Gb HD.

   I have updated the BIOS version for a non-RAID BIOS since I just want
to use as a PCI SATA card. I got the lastest version from here:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=63&cat=15
<http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=63&cat=15>

   The Ubuntu 10.10 CD installer recognizes both, the PCI SATA card and
the 500 Gb HD. I *can*  install a system with no issue.

   However when the system reboots I *can't* boot from the HD. The BIOS
shows in the hard-drive drive sequence the Hitachi SATA drive. However
when it boots it does nothing.

   What am I doing wrong?

   Miguel