[Novalug] adding a router

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 17:04:21 EST 2011

I'm not sure why you were told you can't turn a dedicated WAP on and off - this should be built in to the web interface on the WAP unit.  A dedicated WAP is basically just a router with fewer features, so it might be easier to buy a new router - price is about the same.  You do need to plug it in to that cable you have closer to the room.  You could set up a wireless repeater, but that can be complicated.

If you buy a second new router and connect it to your existing router, your users should be able to get online right away without any configuration, but it is probably not the ideal way to do it.

Your existing router hands out IP addresses in a range, if you are using the default settings, then you get the 192.168.1.* subnet, so your computers become 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.255.

If you plug a new router into your old router, it will become a new device on your network.  It will then hand out IP addresses to the devices attached to it, hopefully in a different range.  Your users will then be able to get on the Internet, but probably won't be able to browse your home network.  If the new router also uses the 192.168.1.* subnet, then it might not work at all because it won't know how to route the packets.

If, on the other hand, you want to use the new router as an access point, you can plug the ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on the new router instead of the WAN port.   You will also need to turn OFF DHCP on the new router but leave the wireless turned on.  Now, when someone connects to that new router, they will be assigned an IP address by the old router and will become a part of your home network, so they will be able to access the Internet and any other local resources that you wish to provide.

Some routers might have an access point mode, which basically does the same thing as I described above.

Igor

________________________________
From: Beartooth <beartooth@Beartooth.Info>
To: Novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:29 PM
Subject: [Novalug] adding a router

    My current router, a Linksys WRT54G2, can be set to
provide wireless access, or turn it off; the latter is the
default.

    But I want to be able to provide wireless access in the
guest room (where I also keep a supernumerary laptop for those
who don't bring their own) -- and this router's signal doesn't
reach that far (nor can I position it any higher).

    I asked the local shop for a dedicated WAP, but one I
could turn on or off. No can do, she said.

    I'm looking for a way around. The present router, like
its defunct predecessors, is clearly designed to handle LANs
which include another router, though I don't know how.

    Also, I have a currently unused ethernet cable between my
desk and a point much nearer the guest room. I'm thinking I
could get a second router, put one of the two on the long cable,
and manage that way.

    Will this work? Is there a pons asinorum on setting it
up? Is there a better way?

--
Beartooth Senectoflatuloid, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Hunting is all ye know on Earth, and all ye need to know.