[Novalug] C++ "news"

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Fri Jun 17 12:53:14 EDT 2011

  I'd say Yes and No. Given that C++ is (mostly) upwardly compatible
with C, I'd rather see C itself just plain Go Away. In fact, back in
Bell Labs they referred to C++ as "C" and C as "old C".

Features can be used gradually...they don't have to be used all at once.
If C itself were to die, then C++ could evolve out of the evil
compromises it made for compatibility.

I find the correspondence between pointers and arrays, pointers in
general and references to be maddening and intolerable. The idea of a
Reference to an Object a la Java, Python, and Ruby is much cleaner.

And qualification is simply done with ".", never a "->".  Oh...and tell
me again why we need the "friend" keyword when no other language seems
to? Maybe to avoid mixins?

And I definitely like Interfaces over Multiple Inheritance. Then again,
if you inherit from a (second) class that has only abstract member
functions...I guess you get the same thing.

I still think that the reason we keep C++ around is for its
speed...after all, garbage collection can really kill a program. But
then again, I really haven't kept up with C++. Stroustrup's first book,
in 1987, was about 300 pages, not all that much thicker than K&R at
about 200. His second book, in 1995 had doubled to 600. I never did do
much more than scan his third, as I was writing in Perl mostly, and
until recently (this millennia) it seemed that few UNIX/Linux people
were writing C++ either.

JIM