[Novalug] C++ "news"

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 07:51:26 EDT 2011

That's been bugging me too.  Been looking for side-by-side comparison
of code snippits to no avail.  Best guess is that the std::thread versions
are more "consistant" (whatever that means) across platforms than the
local pthread implementations so that porting from platform to platform
is "safer" (whatever that means).  Maybe the thinking is that old
threads don't understand multi-core systems while new threads do?
Thought about doing some coding investigation myself, except, well,
I've only upgraded to P-III boxen kinda recently, so I'm way behind
the tech curve (and doing quite fine with it, thankyouveddymuch).
BTW - I understand that POSIX standards are supposed to act the
same, but under the hood, "stuff" happens.

Ed James