[Novalug] wireless print server setup problem

Brander Snaxe brandon20va@yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 09:03:00 EDT 2011

Does the test page from CUPS print okay?

________________________________
From: Ed James <edward.james@gmail.com>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] wireless print server setup problem

Server is a TRENDnet TEW P1UG with  Network / Transport Protocol ==
AppleTalk, NetBEUI/NetBIOS, TCP/IP.  I'm using socket://PrintServer:9100
as the URI, which is fine since it "mostly works".  The LaserJet 1200 has
been rock solid for years with nary a problem, and like yours, works great.
My gf's windoze box (laptop, wireless mode) has no trouble printing
correctly, so it's not getting in *her* way.  It's a horrible thought that it
might be getting in *my* way, but I guess I should consider the
possiblilty.

Brain just noticed something - when the printer now prints a box where
I've got a TAB char, the tabbing action is actually done.  I also get the
square box at the end of some, but not all, lines.  It's the /etc/hosts
file I'm printing, just 'cause it's small.  Now I'm wondering if it's not
the TAB, but some additional unprintable char being inserted there
that's the real problem, via some system utility that's used to update
the hosts file.  First guess is some cwappy code is passing C strings
around and adding the NULL char to the hosts file, rather than
stripping it.  Still, didn't have this problem when the printer was
direct-connect to the 'puter.

Good news is, if there're two problems which "reveal each other",
then I only have to fix one of them.  Time to debug a hosts file.

Ed James