[Novalug] wireless print server setup problem

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 05:57:45 EDT 2011

John,

   I used http://localhost:631 to access CUPS to set everything up in the
first place.  CUPS "hides" stuff, like *location on the HD where the
drivers are*.  I have access.  I need file location.  Nice GUI's tend to
hide that information to avoid confusing the poor user.

   I suspect that the printer driver (.ppd file) is a fault, and would like
to know exactly where it is.  CUPS hides that info, as far as I can
tell.

   When I used the System-Config-Printer GUI to set up the parallel
port interface, it too "hid" the *location on the HD where the drivers
are*.  But that one works,  The CUPS version messes up TAB
characters.  So, I'd like to know the *locations on the HD where
the drivers are* to compare drivers (.ppd files) so I can put the
driver that works into the location of the driver that does not
work.

   Or, did I totally misunderstand, and does CUPS allow me to
configure what a TAB char is and what it does?

Ed James