[Novalug] Developer question(s)-- things have changed! (rcs $Id$ in git?)

Oscar Merida oscar@oscarm.org
Thu Jun 2 23:36:27 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Peter Larsen <
plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:

> What's this "matching" stuff? SVN/GIT/CVS _knows_ what version your code
> is based upon. If you check it in, it knows what NEW version it's based
> upon. In other words, what are you really trying to do here?

I think he's talking about the case where you export your files from git and
distribute them sans repository. I'm not sure how to do it with git
directly, but part of your release build process should be able to extract
the tag information from git and put it into a text file, or if you REALLY
need to do it into every file.

Linus talks about why it belongs outside of source control here
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0610/28891.html
--
Oscar Merida
* http://OscarM.org - random thoughts on my blog