[Novalug] Developer question(s)-- things have changed! (rcs $Id$ in git?)

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Thu Jun 2 13:01:37 EDT 2011

  On 6/2/2011 12:17 PM, The Doctor wrote:

> On 06/01/2011 03:28 PM, Clif Flynt wrote:
>>    And while discussing git vs SVN vs SCCS, I'll throw in a plug for
>> fossil.  It's a fairly lightweight implementation of the ideas behind
>> git and the other distributed systems from the guy who invented SQLite.
SCCS is pretty much dead.
> It's worth mentioning Fossil because it implemented a distributed bug
> tracker and wiki in addition to distributed revision control-ala-GIT.
> Not only can everyone keep their individual source trees in sync with
> it, but they can also carry around snapshots of the collaboration
> environment that get updated in the same way.
>
> I'm trying to make a case at work for testing it on one of our projects.
Joel Spolsky reccommends that you just start using It in your own work,
and then bringing people to it when they are ready.

Even if they never do, you can still Win. Consider having your own git
repos (one at home, one at work) and using the adapter that checks code
in and out of the Company SVN repo.

JIM