[Novalug] Fedora 15 gnome interface

Jeremy Bicha jeremy@bicha.net
Thu Jul 21 01:47:46 EDT 2011

On 21 July 2011 01:24, Jon LaBadie <novalugml@jgcomp.com> wrote:
> A ?panel? on the bottom of the screen acts like it
> is set to "autohide".  Not there normally, but if
> the mouse moves to the lower right corner it snaps
> up.  Appearance is black, semi-transparent.  There
> is nothing on the panel and no mouse clicks or
> keystrokes have any effect on the panel.
>
> Any idea what this ?panel? is?  How to control its
> behavior?  How to use it, like add things?

You can't add thing to it as it's not a panel; it is a notification area.
http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-notifications.html.en

> How do I create application launchers?  I see
> suggestions to install 'alacarte' and/or 'AWN'.
> But it seems to me that g3 should have a builtin
> mechanism.

Install gnome-tweak-tool and tell the file manager to handle the
desktop. Then you can just click on the desktop to create a launcher.

By the way, you can use Gnome Fallback if Gnome Shell is too much for
you and you prefer the gnome-panel interface. If you don't have the
option on your login screen, you can also force it by going to System
Settings>System Info>Graphics and switching Forced Fallback Mode on.

And you might want to look through the new Help which should be
bundled with your distro or you can view it online at
http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/

Jeremy Bicha