[Novalug] Speaking of laptops...

Roy Wilson emperor_wilson@verizon.net
Thu Jul 7 13:08:02 EDT 2011

>   After some  discussion on this list, I'm looking to replace the ailing
> hard drive in a  won't-die laptop with a CF card.
>
>   Clif

  I've been picking up dead laptops for the last year or two.  A $2 replacement
power socket has fixed almost every one of them I bought for next to nothing (or
nothing).

  Apparently, it's a new form of built in obsolescence - just like the <$500
desktop machines have a power switch that fails after 2 years.

  I've been washing the disks in them and installing ubuntu.  So far, there
haven't been any major problems in getting ubuntu to install on these laptops
with "mystery" hardware.

  They make great video players for avi/mpg/whatever format files, the SVID port
most laptops have is fine (so far) to booger out to a television.

  What I haven't had any luck doing is designating the laptop screen as
"control" and the SVGA output as "video output".  I *know* most laptops with an
SVGA port on them have the capability to do so, I just haven't puzzled it out in
ubuntu.  Yet. :)