[Novalug] Gnome3

American Dave Kline novalug@soupy.org
Sun Jan 16 20:12:21 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 07:41:46PM -0500, Paul Frields wrote:

> Free software isn't meant to stand still, and GNOME has looked
> basically the same for quite a number of years now. I think the
> upcoming stuff looks really cool, and if it is a bit of a sea change,
> I'd say that's good for free software overall. And personally it's my
> preference to use the upstream, community-supported GNOME rather than
> a commercial fork.

Agreed.  I'm very happy that a number of Linux projects have been
willing to rock the boat lately.  Xorg, Gnome, KDE, Wayland, Android,
etc.  Now is an exciting time to be involved.

One of the things I liked most about switching to Linux was how
configurable it was.  I was thrilled with the Enlightenment window
manager and how exotic the themes were.  We're certainly more mainstream
as a community now -- which is great -- but again, I'm glad we're pushing
the envelope.

Regards,
-A. Dave