[Novalug] update from Ubuintu Karmic to Lucid - MySQL not working now

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Tue Jan 4 19:24:58 EST 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Jeff Stoner wrote:

well i did the chicken out action in relation to upgrading to Lucid and
bought a new harddrive and installed lucid on it.

actually i installed karmic and upgraded to lucid using the upgrade
capability of the Ubuntu update manager because I have had problems
burning a Lucid desktop cd. keep getting errors when burning it.

i was starting to get very nervous about loosing files and I did not have
enough space to backup my home directory when I only had the old
harddrives. I have lots of image files.

now I am copying my data files over to the new harddrive (a 500GB WD).

i am still trying to figure out why the system insists on booting from
the orginal harddrive even though I installed lucid into the new
harddrive with the old one powered down during the installation.

if probably has to do with how the mbr and grub interact. I can boot into
lucid located on the new harddrive but the grub menu boot seems to be
brought up only when the bios has ide0-1 (the second harddriveon the first
ide bus) as the boot volumn.

other comments are in message below.

I did get freedos running in a dos partition and when booting into
freedos I can access the floppy drive so i have ancient copy protected
dos pedigree program running again but not in a nice little dosemu window
under linux.

since I hope to phase the program out of use soon I can live with the
inconvenience for now. good motivation to write the coefficient of
inbreeding module for my own pedigree program, "Webped".

I have in-message comments on the MySQL stuff below.

I am about to do a LAMP install on the new Lucid installation.

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>
>> does not seem to be running
>> only reply is line looking for mysql
>>
>> bdz      13884  0.0  0.0   3320   776 pts/1    S+   11:13   0:00 grep mysql
>
>> to the best of my knowledge i did not disable networking. do you think the
>> upgrade might have? how do I tell?
>
> Doubtful but it is a valid use-case. This is done either by passing the
> --skip-networking parameter to mysqld or putting 'skip-networking' in the
> config file. Since mysqld was not in your process table, this isn't the
> cause.
>
> The thing to look for now is MySQL's log file. It is usually kept in the
> datadir (/home/bdz/mysqldb) so check for a log file named with your hostname.
> Check the last 10-20 lines to see what it says.

>> originally i installed Ubuntu MySQL using the Ubuntu how2 page on how to do
>> a LAMP install
>>
>> i edited /etc/mysql/my.cnf so that the line pointing it to datadir points
>> it to a directory under /home/bdz
>>
>> here is the entire section:
>> #
>> user            = mysql
>> pid-file        = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
>> socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
>> port            = 3306
>> basedir         = /usr
>> datadir         = /home/bdz/mysqldb  #changed 2010-07-26
>> tmpdir          = /tmp
>> skip-external-locking
>> #
>
> Since the data files are in your home directory and mysqld runs as a
> different user, does the mysql user have read/write access to the
> /home/bdz/mysqldb directory?

it should have but I will double check this - good suggestion

> Another thing to remember is the config file works just like Windows ini
> files - there are different sections. The [mysql] section applies to just the
> mysql cli program while the [mysqld] section applies to just the mysqld
> daemon program. I have seen cases where the socket was pointing to a
> "non-standard" location in the [mysqld] section but not similarly defined in
> the [mysql] or [client] sections - forcing you to add the appropriate command
> line parameter to the mysql client program.
>
> Since your server isn't even running, let's figure that out first before
> mucking about in the config file.

Will see if doing a LAMP installation on the new Lucid resolves these
problems.

Thanks so much for your help and discussion.

> --Jeff
>
> "You cannot unsay a cruel word." - Unknown

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com