[Novalug] Problems with rsync

John Christopher john.christopher1100@yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 23:07:59 EST 2011

Happy new year!

I'm trying to use rsync to backup my laptop
to a NAS box.  Here is my backup script:

$ cat backup.txt

smbclient -L 192.168.2.77 -U%
smbmount //192.168.2.77/john       /mnt/smb
rsync -vax /home       /mnt/smb/rsync/laptop/home
rsync -vax /var/www    /mnt/smb/rsync/laptop/var/www
rsync -vax /etc        /mnt/smb/rsync/laptop/etc

I run the backup script with:

$ sudo sh backup.txt

The files from my laptop get copied to the NAS,
but all the files and directories have an owner
and group of 501, and the timestamps are all set
to the date and time they were copied to the NAS.
Also, I see lots of errors like:

rsync: failed to set times on "filename": Invalid argument (22)

If I re-run the script without changing any files
on the laptop, all the files get copied to the NAS
again.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop.
The NAS (D-LINK DNS-323) is connected to my
wifi router with an ethernet cable, and the
laptop is connected to the router via wifi.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.