[Novalug] problem getting wifi signal

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Sun Feb 27 10:35:31 EST 2011

On 02/27/2011 10:24 AM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>> what do you think?

There is some good advice on this page

http://www.freeantennas.com/

I just made two of the foil/cardboard windsurfer ones to boost the
signal at work and it works great. That might not help with outside, but
they have some wire mesh/can designs that might help. I don't think
you'll ever get good penetration around/through the buildings so your
best bet is most likely the deck/roof mounted antenna and then an
internal to the home repeater.

I think there were some designs based on discarded DishTV antennas. Yes
they are big and ugly but they are strong, can withstand the elements
(unlike a pringles can), usually free, and wont look too out of place on
your roof. I know neighbors can get upset when you are mounting things
on your condo/apartment. Ugly SatTV doesn't raise to many eyebrows.

Nick