[Novalug] Using Ubuntu on Windows 7 in a virtual environment

James (Jim) Darlack jmdarlack@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 09:58:25 EST 2011

Hi Friends,

I have a Dell VOSTRO1000, 80 gig HD, 2 gig RAM, dual AMD64 CPUs.  Im interested in installing Ubuntu after I installed the Micro$haft Win XP 32 bit. The goal is to install 64 bit Ubunto.

Also, interested in advice on instalation of using VirtualBox and virtualization of various flavors of Windows and Linux.

Is this possible, or am I asking for problems, since Win XP 32 bit was first installed on the laptop???

I recall, that thepath is install Win 64bit, then 64 bit Linux.

I do so want to toss Micro$haft, however, there are a few programs that must be running in Micro$haft Windoze.

Any advice, is appreciated.

________________________________
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
To: John Christopher <john.christopher1100@yahoo.com>
Cc: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Using Ubuntu on Windows 7 in a virtual environment

VirtualBox is the best cross-platform & free VM solution I know of.  Some of the VM management screens are a bit awkward to use, especially the storage manager, but it runs well on just about everything.

Personally, I use VMWare Fusion on my Macs instead of VirtualBox for two reasons. First, management of the VMs is easier because each VM is self-contained in its own directory and second, the host CPU usage when a VM is idle is slightly lower with VMWare than VirtualBox.  This lower idle CPU usage translates to longer battery life.

That said, if I have a project where I need to share VMs with Linux and/or Windows users, I'll reach for VirtualBox.

jf

On Dec 13, 2011, at 9:10 AM, John Christopher wrote:

> My neighbor has a Windows 7 laptop and wants to try Ubuntu Linux but is nervous about and unwilling to mess with repartitioning, etc.  I know zero about VMware, Windows Virtual PC and other virtual environment software.  Is this the solution?  Looking for a (hopefully) free, simple, and easy solution to get him started with Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks for your help.

John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org
ICBM: 39º 01' 58.4"N 77º 24' 49.6"W Z+84m