[Novalug] Convert table on Master to INNODB and leave table as MyISAM on Slave

Jones, Tony tjones@lgb-inc.com
Tue Dec 6 12:07:00 EST 2011

Any MySQL Guru's out there who can help me with the following:

I have a master database server and a slave server and would like to change the storage engine for only a few tables from "MyISAM" to "INNODB" on only the master database server and leave the same tables on the replication server in the "MyISAM" table type format.  Of course, I have binary logging enabled to post any changes on the master to the slave.  Would it be safe to disable binary logging by setting the SQL_BIN_LOG=0 on the master first and then execute my alter table commands and finally re-enabling the binary logging by setting SQL_BIN_LOG=1 after I'm done converting the tables from "MyISAM" to "INNODB"?  I thought about stopping the slave server first, executing the alter commands and then restarting the slave, but the alter commands would be posted to the slave server, so I can't do this. The whole purpose for doing this is to speed up the updates and queries on a few tables that are updated and queried more often than the other tables. The MyISAM table type does table locking whereas the INNOB table type does row locking.

Thanks,
Tony