[Novalug] OT: Electrical Wiring Q

Jason Kohles jkohles@palantir.com
Mon Aug 29 19:37:32 EDT 2011

No, even if you remove the 4-way switch, you still only have the two travelers, and only one of them will ever be powered at a time.

To make it work you either have to run new wire from somewhere that has a live hot wire, or remove both the 3-way switches, replacing one of them with a regular off/on switch.  If you take the second option you can still potentially control it from two locations if you replace them with smart controllers (such as an Insteon or X10 switch at one end and a compatible controller at the other.

----- Original Message -----
From: greg pryzby [mailto:greg@pryzby.org]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 04:09 PM
To: Nino R. Pereira <ninorpereira@gmail.com>
Cc: novalug@calypso.tux.org <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Subject: Re: [Novalug] OT: Electrical Wiring Q

The other option I am considering is to REMOVE the 4 way from the
equation for the existing lights.

There are existing lights and 2 3-ways.
How would I close the loop and remove the existing 4 way?

If I do that, could I tap into the closed loop I just created and use
that to provide power to a new 3 way switch that controls the 1 new
light? Not ideal, but an option.

That said, somehow who use to do electrical work volunteered to take a
look and offer suggestions.