[Novalug] OT: Electrical Wiring Q

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Mon Aug 29 19:22:52 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 09:29:13AM -0400, greg pryzby wrote:
> Looking for electrical wiring help.
>
> I have 3 light switches (2 have 3-wires and 1 has 4-wires). I put a
> new light in near the 4-wire switch.
>
> I would like to tie the new light (2-wires + ground) into the wiring
> at the 4-wire switch. I can't get it to work/cycle w/ the lights.
> Meaning when the existing lights are on, the new light is out. When
> the new light is on, the existing lights are out. Playing with the 3
> switches I can get the new and existing lights all out, but nothing
> gets them all on.
>
> ANY constructive help (besides hire an electrician) are welcome. I
> imagine the internet can save me the electrician fee and teach me
> about wiring.

The diagrams I've seen have the neutral (white) lead passing through
each switch box without ever going through a switch.  Basically one
long neutral from the power source to the light without ever going
through a switch.

The hot (black) leads go into and out of each switch.  Plus, an
extra hot (diagramed as red) between each switch.  The last switch
provides the hot lead to the light.

You should be able to insert another light by breaking the long,
unswitched neutral lead and inserting your light at the break.

As someone pointed out, don't overload the switches ratings.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing