[Novalug] OT: Electrical Wiring Q

jonwrose@verizon.net jonwrose@verizon.net
Mon Aug 29 09:46:12 EDT 2011

Sounds like a 4 way switch, which are tricky to wire, especially when you don't k ow what wire is what and how they were all wired together.   Typically, but not always, there will be 1 live wire at the switch and the other wires will be "traveling".   You're going to have to trace the wires to figure it out.    My guess is that there will be 3 switches and a light(s).   At the switches all the neutral (white) wires should be twisted together.

Sent via DROID X

-----Original message-----
From: greg pryzby <greg@pryzby.org>
To: Novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Mon, Aug 29, 2011 13:29:13 GMT+00:00
Subject: [Novalug] OT: Electrical Wiring Q

Looking for electrical wiring help.

I have 3 light switches (2 have 3-wires and 1 has 4-wires). I put a
new light in near the 4-wire switch.

I would like to tie the new light (2-wires + ground) into the wiring
at the 4-wire switch. I can't get it to work/cycle w/ the lights.
Meaning when the existing lights are on, the new light is out. When
the new light is on, the existing lights are out. Playing with the 3
switches I can get the new and existing lights all out, but nothing
gets them all on.

ANY constructive help (besides hire an electrician) are welcome. I
imagine the internet can save me the electrician fee and teach me
about wiring.

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby

WEB:  http://www.RestonArtisTree.com/
TWTR: gpryzby