[Novalug] running out of memory

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Tue Aug 23 16:39:35 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 16:25 -0400, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> > Are you unable to access the several text-based logins
> > typically available through <Ctrl><Alt><F#> where # is 2-6?
> > If you can, you could login (possibly as root) and "pkill firefox".
> > Returning to the gui environment might show it responsive.
>
> keyboard is frozen and the little animation that system monitor has in my
> upper menu bar is flaaaat. cntrl alt f1/f2/ etc do nothing.

Bonnie, what does the /var/log/messages show? Any OOM messages? Usually
with OOM you'll see services crash and some nasty dumps on the console
and logs telling that this and that PID has been killed freeing up X
amount of memory.

Otherwise it may not be memory but a more nasty problem on the X side.
In a very old version of Fedora I had to disable a certain screen-saver
because it always crashed by box (bad 3D driver).

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
I put instant coffee in a microwave and almost went back in time.
		-- Steven Wright