[Novalug] Spare Dell laptop CD drive

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 21:19:11 EDT 2011

This laptop is probably 10 years old or more, I would not be surprised if all kinds of stuff is failing.  It could also be the power brick that is giving out.

However, if you want to get a CD installed working, I recommend you get one of these:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020

You can borrow mine, but for $13, I recommend buying it - it has many uses!

You can hook up the CD drive from your desktop computer using this device and turn it into a USB drive to connect to the laptop to install an OS.

Igor

________________________________
From: Jay Hart <jhart@kevla.org>
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:57 PM
Subject: [Novalug] Spare Dell laptop CD drive

Another friend gave me a laptop to repair.  It had a bad HDD so I replaced it.
Now it seems like the CDROM drive motor is failing, it spins up and down, you
can hear it.

The Laptop is a Dell PPO4L, and the CDROM ROM drive is a Samsung Model SN-124.
Anyone have something that I could borrow to finish loading this PC up?  I'll
pickup or pay shipping both ways.  When you are installing the CD Drive the
connector is in the back on the left side.

Anyone heard of these units having a bad internal power controller that could
cause this, the HDD was doing the exact same thing.

Thanks,

Jay