[Novalug] Spare Dell laptop CD drive

Clif Flynt clif@cflynt.com
Sun Aug 14 18:30:19 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 05:57:21PM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> Anyone heard of these units having a bad internal power controller that could
> cause this, the HDD was doing the exact same thing.

  I've not run across a bad power supply, but I have had the cooling
fan in some Dell laptops (C840 series) wear out, and had overheating
issues.  I put them over a cheapo-laptop stand with fan, and they're
happier.

  I keep a USB CDrom drive on hand to nurse some of my elderly laptops
back to life.  Or maybe a PXE boot if you are installing Linux on the
critter.

  Good luck,
  Clif
--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cwflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..