[Novalug] System lockups (was Out Of Memory)

Clif Flynt clif@cflynt.com
Fri Aug 12 00:58:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 07:39:27PM -0400, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Roger W. Broseus wrote:
>
> >Might the problem be with chrome? I thought of this because FireFox
> >sometimes causes problems. There
> >is even a FireFox extension - Memory Restart - to monitory mem usage and
> >force a restart.
>
> AHA! I was becoming sure that Firefox had something major to do with the
> periodic freezing up of my computer. I will look for that extension.
> Thanks
>
> I get these freeze ups where the mouse vanishes and non of the keystrokes
> to go to another terminal or anything. then sometimes the caps lock and
> scroll lock keys flash. The only thing I can do is  a hard reboot.

  I've seen this occaissionally, usually when I've got 8 virtual
screens, with a half dozen windows on each and a couple of VM sessions
running on other systems, displayed on my screen via an "ssh -X", and
I'm flipping back & forth between screens with a bunch of cut&pasting.

  The issue for me is that the window manager becomes unhappy.  (I can't
imagine why.)

  ssh'ing into my primary system from another box, and doing the
appropriate "kill -#" to reset the wm seems to solve the problem
without a hard reboot.

  FWIW, I use fvwm.  I customized this to do just what I want years
ago, and haven't found any CDE/KDE/Gnome/Whatever that I like as much.

--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cwflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..