[Novalug] Why am I out of memory?

John Place jplace@unixsage.com
Wed Aug 10 15:29:36 EDT 2011

How are you determining you are out of memory? Top? Because Linux (and
most other Unix platforms) will put memory to use leaving a modest pool
behind for spikes.. If the system is very idle that pool can get quite
small this is not "wrong" per say but it can be misleading. Free command
will show you a different look and may lead you to a different outcome...

Also on swap I have not seen swap get in the way unless the system is
trying to overcome a shortage of memory mine sits empty most of the
time.. If this still does not work you can adjust the kernel setting:
vm.swappiness.. I have never had to set this just reporting its existence...

Good Luck
John