[Novalug] Why am I out of memory?

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Wed Aug 10 15:02:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 02:47:33PM -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
> Hello, I bought a monster machine last year with 8 gigs of ram, yet I
> ran out just now. I don't use swap space because Linux badly abuses it,
> murdering performance. So my dekstop nearly locked up.... Why did this
> happen? =\

I'm surprised to hear your views on Linux swap usage.  I seldom see any
swap usage.  Different apps I guess.  Or might your view be tainted by
long ago experiences?

> I was re-building chromium and the linker took up 2GB!! But that is only
> a tiny fraction of the story because I had 6 other gb to play with...

Are you running a 64 or 32 bit installation and applications.  If 32,
then you may be hitting the per-process limit of about 3.5GB.  Or,
if 32 bit install, are you using the PAE version to allow for more
than 4GB to be recognized?

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing