[Novalug] Tip: AutoKey - A Handy Application

Oscar Merida oscar@oscarm.org
Tue Aug 2 10:47:10 EDT 2011

jEdit's built in Abbreviations allow you to do this.  You can group the
abbreviations by mode so that the HTML ones only work when you are editing
an HTML file, for example.

You can set them up via the Settings window.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Roger W. Broseus <rogerb@bronord.com> wrote:

> There are some things that I find myself typing over and over again. Like
> tags
> in HTML and long phrases for a document I just wrote, e.g., "The Czech
> Republic." And long strings for HTML documents.
>
> AutoKey to the rescue. One can create "abbreviations" that will expand to
> the
> "whole thing." The "abbreviations" can be application specific, that is,
> called when working "in" a specific application. My one caveat: I use jEdit
> lot and could not make it work for this application - probably because of
> the
> way it executes - it's written in Java.
>
> I installed AutoKey (GTK UI) straight-away and easily with Ubuntu's
> Application | Software Center.
>
> Get latest updates by adding to software sources - System | Administration
> |
> Software sources. Select the other software tab and add the ppa,
>
>    http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdekter/ppa/ubuntu
>
> which can also be done as root with
>
>    add-apt-repository ppa:cdekter/ppa
>
> Oh yeah, I know: there's probably a million ways to do this with emacs or
> vi
> or . . ..
>
> --
> --