[Novalug] Tip: AutoKey - A Handy Application

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Mon Aug 1 18:46:04 EDT 2011

There are some things that I find myself typing over and over again. Like tags
in HTML and long phrases for a document I just wrote, e.g., "The Czech
Republic." And long strings for HTML documents.

AutoKey to the rescue. One can create "abbreviations" that will expand to the
"whole thing." The "abbreviations" can be application specific, that is,
called when working "in" a specific application. My one caveat: I use jEdit a
lot and could not make it work for this application - probably because of the
way it executes - it's written in Java.

I installed AutoKey (GTK UI) straight-away and easily with Ubuntu's
Application | Software Center.

Get latest updates by adding to software sources - System | Administration |
Software sources. Select the other software tab and add the ppa,

    http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdekter/ppa/ubuntu

which can also be done as root with

    add-apt-repository ppa:cdekter/ppa

Oh yeah, I know: there's probably a million ways to do this with emacs or vi
or . . ..

Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB@bronord.com
     Web Site: www.bronord.com