[Novalug] esxi commands?

Keith Howell keith.c.howell@gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 10:04:46 EDT 2011

After running into this crud a while ago, I ditched ESXi and started
running proxmox as my server software.

http://www.proxmox.org/products/proxmox-ve

This is a customized Debian installation tuned to run KVM and qemu
virtual machines. The management interface is a web based front end. You
can ssh into the box and edit things, scp iso images. You can even
create your VM's if you want.

Virtual console access is via VLC and appears to work very well. You can
even access the virtual bios ad re-direct boot media on the fly.

They say they support clustering, but I havn't had two machines to
cluster with.

At the current time, they do not appear to support snapshots, but the
forums have had people asking for this feature.

If you need access to USB devices, I would stick with virtualbox or
vmware player since it is non-trivial to force a USB device to attach to
a proxmox VM. I didn't consider this a problem as my server is not
easily accessible for plugging in devices.

--
Keith