[Novalug] Postfix : how to limit flow outbound?

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Sat Apr 23 11:47:40 EDT 2011

I have a postfix server fronting an exchange server. The exchange server
is not happy with the flow of email coming in and keeps deferring the
inbound email (probably every other one). That delays some email 30
minutes while it goes into deferred queue and then gets retried. I know
I can set the retry rate lower but what I want to do is just limit the
amount of connections from postfix -> (outbound) -> exchange. If I can
set these all into a single thread, there might be a slight delay as a
pile of email comes in and has to get sent to exchange but there won't
be a 30 minute delay as mail gets bumped into deferred and then retried.

Google searching comes up with many useless pages, possibly because I
don't know exactly what i am looking for...

Suggestions?

Nick