[Novalug] rsync

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 08:46:25 EDT 2011

I believe what you want is:

 rsync -uzahv /source/*.* user@192.168.1.4:⁄media⁄truecrypt1⁄.thunderbird⁄abcjbut.default

Igor

________________________________
From: Roger W. Broseus <RogerB@bronord.com>
To: NOVALUG <NOVALUG@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:30 PM
Subject: [Novalug] rsync

I want to use rsync to update files for thunderbird on my laptop.

source is: /home/roger/.thunderbird/abcjbut.default/ on 192.168.1.2
target is /media/trucrypt1/.thunderbird/abcjbut.default/ on 192.168.1.4

To try and simplify the command line, on the source machine, I created a
symlink to the source, named source, which links to the source directory.
I've tried various things and failed with error messages like

    rsync: change_dir "/source" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    sent 12 bytes  received 12 bytes  48.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
    rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous
    errors)
   (code 23) at main.c(1060) [sender=3.0.7]

Example command:
    rsync -uzahv /source/*.*
192.168.1.4⁄media⁄truecrypt1⁄.thunderbird⁄
    abcjbut.default

-u is to update
-z to compress (probably of marginal value

Given the source and target info at the beginning of this message, what is
the correct command to update files on the target, including files in
sub-directories?

I note that I can establish ssh connections both ways.

P.S. Why do I want to do this? The source dir has >5 GB of files in
numerous subdirs. Updating after the first transfer should be much faster.

Thanks in advance.

--
Roger Broseus
  RogerB@bronord.com