[Novalug] Knoppix & Wireless

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Tue Apr 19 13:04:42 EDT 2011

  You just restated what I said: Obsolete Software is Useful for
Obsolete Hardware.

What bothers me is that that many people still cling to the Live CD
model, or even to the concept of CDs in general.

The Debian/Ubuntu installers seem to insist on a Real CD, and their
default for making Flash Drives is a Live CD.

Even the Red Hat/Fedora installer, Anaconda, wants a Hard Drive image as
an ISO format when an Unpacked Tree
would be better, given that NFS, HTTP, and FTP installations will need
them that way.

If you want something Useful, I would try a Fedora or Ubuntu Live CD
instead. Ubuntu is Very Good at supporting New Hardware, even giving you
the "Naughty Bits" (proprietary driver/firmware code) while Fedora gives
you what it legally can, including the Intel drivers which have been
released.

I believe that the rest of the world has caught up with Knoppix.

JIM