[Novalug] recommendations wanted: small-business-grade router + wireless AP

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Sun Apr 3 11:58:45 EDT 2011

On 04/03/2011 11:46 AM, Soren Harward wrote:
> Like-to-have features:
> - wired throughput that actually can approach gigabit speeds.  The big
> reason I'm unimpressed with most home-grade routers is that what they
> call "gigabit" is more like "150Mbps if you use short runs of Cat7".

I havent seen any consumer grade hardware that approaches gigabit at
all. The best I've seen is about 350. Well sometimes 500 if its the ONLY
thing talking, and only in 1/2 duplex. Personally I've always had great
luck with the Linksys routers and Tomato flashed OS but then I don't
have any N hardware or some of your other requirements so that might not
work for you.

> - less than about $250

Thats a toughie. I was going to suggest a decent micro PC with a PCI
wireless card. Then you would get all the features you asked for with a
decent linux distro+hardware goodies. But not for $250 :-)

Nick