[Novalug] RHEL 6

Maxwell Spangler maxlists@maxwellspangler.com
Tue Sep 28 23:58:21 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 06:49 -0400, greg pryzby wrote:

> 2010 just wait, RHEL 6 is great. Fedora 12+ is very SELinux useable

At work yesterday I wrote documentation describing how to overcome what
happens when the RHEL 5.x installer sees add-in PCIe storage cards and
makes them /dev/sda instead of an integrated scsi/sas/sata controller.
Ignore this and you end up installing your Linux system and your boot
loader to an external storage array instead of internal, which can be a
real problem when the BIOS wants to do it in the opposite manner.

I wrote: do this, then do this, then do this, then that, then this.  I
made efforts to simplify the words but it was clear the process is the
problem.

Then I repeated the same thing in RHEL 6 and the entire problem just
went away.

It's like somebody said <this> is problem: Go fix it and they actually
did.  The new method, a panel on the left listing all your controllers,
a panel on the right allowing you to select them and choose a boot
controller, is all you need and nothing more.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services