[Novalug] How Lock DNS Server i.p.?

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Sep 20 13:45:43 EDT 2010

  I never heard of the prepend directive before, but it appears that
either the Ubuntu people or the NetworkManager people can't resist
changing the world.

Two suggestions:

[1] don't use NetworkManager
[2] put what you want to in resolv.conf and set the immutable bit

You can go thru all the networking scripts and figure out where
/etc/resolv.conf is changed. You can probably also either tell NM not to
control that interface, and there almost certainly is a way to tell it
not to muck with DNS at all.

After all, you might want to run your own caching nameserver and always
check 127.0.0.1

Finally, you could write a (ugly hack) cron job that copies
/etc/resolv.roger to /etc/resolv.conf every minute :)

JIM