[Novalug] portable MP3 players

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 12:05:40 EDT 2010

I've also got an older Sandisk Sansa
(NOTE NOT ALL MODELS WORK w rockbox)

But RockBox website has a list of devices that
work with their software...

I'm currently using a MachSpeed v430
on sale from Staples WHICH DOES NOT
DO ROCKBOX, but the built in firmware
plays ogg (and undocumented too)
for about $70 w/o sale, it was cheap
and does recording voice, video clips
(not successfully converted files yet)
radio, etc...

It's only 4 Gb built in but takes
MicroSD cards, so not much of an issue,
afai am concerned...

I wrote some about it on the Staples.com
affiliated review site, but waiting period for it
to be approved by site...

I've not tried Apple products (iPod, Nano, etc)
so no joy there...  Too expensive for me,
as I go out bikig with the devices (1 earphone
is usually legal, as the police types sometimes
have something chattering in one ear...)
but patrol people have a walky talkie type
mic/ speaker handset on the lapel/ shoulder
 rbreastbone area...

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM, John Yodsnukis <yodsnukis@dbbd.net> wrote:
> I've been happy with an older model of a Sandisk Sansa player:
>
> http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=14243
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a iAudio X5. It worked great but the battery is gone, again. I've
>> already replaced it once so its an old unit. Before that I had a Neuros,
>> the big brick like thing. That was a great MP3 player before the iPod.
>> Good for car listening anyway! The only problem I had with the X5 was
>> bad battery life. Compared to the new players it was rather pitiful at
>> maybe 2+ hours. Even new. This battery now maybe gives me 45 minutes.
>> Enough to cut the lawn but then I get the "low battery shutdown" warnings.
>>
>> I'm going to visit my Mom in October with my sister and niece. I would
>> like a portable player to listen to on the plane.
>>
>> So before I try to find a battery for the X5 and replace it, again,
>> anyone have recommendations on a Linux friendly portable mp3 player? The
>> iAudio runs rockbox, I like the idea of a filesystem I just dump stuff
>> to rather then have to select music to sync. I do not use or have used
>> iTunes, I usually use VLC to play music on my PC. I know the little
>> iPods can run Rockbox now, so that might be my route but I thought I'd
>> see what the suggestions were here first. Large storage please.
>>
>> Nick

Jerry W