[Novalug] Mutt and jpg / videos / etc.

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sat Sep 18 12:05:13 EDT 2010

I've often wanted to try Mutt but have been flummoxed by the
complication of having to setup special "configuration files" to make it
convenient for me - so I resort to T'bird.

Postings relating to Mutt by *American Dave* and *Clif Flynt* prompt me
to ask for suggestions for the following:

I get a lot of fun stuff that includes .jpg, videos, etc. I've T'bird
allows you to view the jpegs directly and I've setup VLC as my default
movie viewer. How does one accomplish this with Mutt? BTW: T'bird
turns-off viewing of "unsafe" images by default.

And, will I have to do anything "outside" of Mutt to enable it's use?
E.g., setup an MTA or is that already "here" with the default setup
(T'bird on Ubuntu).

It would be good to try out Mutt when I'm on a trip this Fall -
text-based viewers are faster and are nice when one is working with a
slow connection. My first email experiences were with Pine as a user of
the free dial-up service provided by one of the Universities in DC
during the last century. That was before the "rich" content we see now.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
    Email: RogerB@bronord.com