[Novalug] Optimal internet speed for Netflix?

Aaron Porter atporter@gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 19:36:19 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Paul <opensource@unixoses.com> wrote:
> Hey all.  We have 1.5mb DSL.  Compared to DVD and HDTV OTA, On demand
> netflix quality is bad IMO.  Does the quality go up with internet speed I
> am guessing?  If so, is there an optimal speed that would approach HD
> quality (1080p)?  Also noticed it does not even give Dolby Digital
> Surround.  Thanks.

Netflix seems to max out at about 5mbps standard and about 7mbps HD,
just based on my experiences & traffic graphs. I hardly ever manage to
get full HD, unless it's a good "internet weather" day and I stop
backups/vpn/etc.