[Novalug] power runs and cat 5 distance

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Oct 31 23:51:54 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:43:06PM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 23:07 -0400, Tim wrote:
> >> Jay,
> >>

> >> In 3 years, I have not had a problem with cat5 being within 1 inch of
> >> 20 amp circuits.
> >
> > It depends on what is run on the power circuit. There's very good
> > reasons why IT equipment usually runs on their own separate circuits.
> > You don't want the noise from fans/motors/compressors going to a CPU and
> > digital equipment/communication.
> >

> Good point,  most likely will have the occasional power tool and lights being
> used in the garage.  think car repair, house repair, etc.  Probably no fans,
> but I do have a compressor...
>
> Jay

As long as you are going to the trouble now, why not run CAT 6
and be ready for that gigabit lan I forsee in your future.

And consider running a spare in case there are problems with
the one in use (eg. nail puncture or abrasion).  Back in NJ,
spares saved us from digging a new trench for some underground
lines and another saved us from having to break open a wall.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing