[Novalug] power runs and cat 5 distance

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Sun Oct 31 22:59:22 EDT 2010

  Good Question. And I have no idea.

But given that people make adapters that plug into your power line, and
that people were seriously considering IP over Power LInes, I'd say
offhand that it probably wouldn't be a problem. In the steady state, the
60Hz is probably too low to matter. WHen switches make or break contact
you could get some noise, maybe dropping a few packets now and then.

But wait...don't they call that stuff Twisted Pair? Whatever currents
are set up by changes in magetic field in a segment of wire will be
canceled out in the next twist because the wires are inverted. And if
the cable is shielded, you're even better off.

One thing you might need to worry about...the garage might be considered
"outside wiring" and requires GFCI breakers.

JIM