[Novalug] Looking into server hosting for the first time

Gopher gopher@3wa.org
Sun Oct 31 11:10:09 EDT 2010

Currently I have a DSL line (1.5Mbps up/down) and 4 static IPs in my
basement connected to two physical servers (both 10yr old hardware)
running way out of date Ubuntu (6.06, if you must ask).  I'm paying a
lot for this on a monthly basis and I've decided it's time to cut my
losses and look for better solutions.

I have a lot of custom code on these things and have done a lot of
mucking with the OS, the start up scripts, webservers, databases, etc.
So simply ditching it all and moving the websites some 'web hosting'
facility isn't an option. I need a solution where I can own the OS and
the software. beyond that I don't care.

I think I need some type of 'server hosting' solution where they supply
the host (physical, virtual, either works), the bandwidth and the static
IPs. So far my rough estimates of such services come in much cheaper per
month than my current setup.  Hell, I figure by going this route, it
will save me a ton of money from even having to upgrade all my hardware
(which is way over due for such an overhaul).

Having never looked into such an arena before, I have no idea where to
start.  Can anybody supply any information on what I should be looking
for, trying to avoid, good/bad companies?  Am I even on the right track?

Danke,
Gopher.

--
gopher@3wa.org