[Novalug] DHCP

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Oct 18 22:39:05 EDT 2010

  Webmin is a nice GUI. The idea is that an HTML Form is designed based
on various Flat File formats and CGI editing as well as
start/stop/enable/disable scripts controlling the demons.

However, in the case of DHCP and DNS, it's nice to simply edit
/etc/hosts and fire off a script that generates the DNS and DHCP config
files for you and kicks the demons.

There is a perl script called h2n in the BIND directory, and it isn't
much of a stretch to make it handle DHCP as well.

I have started putting my MAC addresses in the hosts file for exactly
this reason...I am tired of the Spreadsheets that always seem to float
around, usually stored on Windows Shared Drives, and rarely ever checked
into Version Control.

In case you are wondering, the MAC addresses are exactly 12 hex
characters; no colons or dashes. This means to can ping and ssh to a MAC
address. The MAC address has an A record to the IP Address, and the
Hostname record has either a TXT record, or a PTR record to the MAC address.

Yes, PTR records are legal in Forward Domains, and A records are legal
in Reverse Domains. See RFC 1101. It describes how an entity might list
its Network Numbers (umd.edu. PTR 128.8.0.0) as well as its subnet masks
(8.128.in-addr.arpa. A 255.255.0.0). However, I have only seen UMD and
ISI do this.

I wrote my own version of h2n long ago, and I am fixing to rewrite it
again, also generating the DHCP files from it.

I'll post it when I am done; that way all the folks whose shell scripts
I critiqued can get a whack back at me :)

JIM