[Novalug] Reminder: SuperHappyDevHouse TOMORROW

Jason Kohles jkohles@palantir.com
Fri Oct 1 20:14:07 EDT 2010

I'm sure someone will find a use for them.  We even have a big 650 pound capacity cart we can use to haul them...

On Oct 1, 2010, at 4:20 PM, greg pryzby wrote:

> I really hope I can swing by.... at least to drop off stuff....
>
> I have some old Dell 280s (really crappy) but if you want then (and a
> few really old Suns) let me know. We just need to haul them across the
> parking lot
>

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Jason Kohles <jkohles@palantir.com> wrote:
>> Just a reminder, for those who were interested, SuperHappyDevHouse is
>> tomorrow from noon to 11pm.
>> For more information visit http://superhappydevhouse.org/DC
>> In addition, there a couple of projects that could benefit from donations of
>> old hardware (even broken hardware).
>> So if you have any of the following stuff laying around in your junk piles
>> and you want to get rid of them, please
>> bring them along!
>>  * CD/DVD Drives (especially burners!)
>>  * Floppy Drives
>>  * Printers
>>  * Scanners
>>  * Any other "techno-crap" you want to bring will probably be put to good
>> use.
>> Some of the projects that will put this old equipment to good use include:
>> I'm building a "Freedom Vending Machine" project that lets you pick
>> a distribution you want to try and
>> it burns cds or dvds on demand with a robotic autoloader.  I've got enough
>> parts to make this work, but
>> more burners would make it able to burn more things at once.  Also, if I can
>> find enough suitable stepper
>> motors, I'm planning to add a tiny plotter that can label the discs with a
>> sharpie once they are burned.
>> Once this is working I'll have it setup at future NOVALUG meetings if you
>> want to try a new distribution
>> without all the time it takes to download it over a slow connection.
>> If we get a large enough surplus of these components (and enough time with
>> all the other projects going
>> on) we're planning to build something else as a participatory project for
>> anybody interested in learning
>> more about robotics and electronics.  Exactly what will be built hasn't been
>> entirely decided yet (and
>> probably won't be until we figure out what kind of components we have to
>> work with) but my suggestion
>> was for a CNC pancake printer.  Everybody loves pancakes!
>>

> --
> greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby
>
> WEB:  http://www.RestonArtisTree.com/
> TWTR: gpryzby

Jason Kohles, RHCA
Palantir Technologies | Forward Deployed Engineer
jkohles@palantir.com | 703.957.5784