[Novalug] Reminder: SuperHappyDevHouse TOMORROW

Jason Kohles jkohles@palantir.com
Fri Oct 1 13:01:19 EDT 2010

Just a reminder, for those who were interested, SuperHappyDevHouse is tomorrow from noon to 11pm.

For more information visit http://superhappydevhouse.org/DC

In addition, there a couple of projects that could benefit from donations of old hardware (even broken hardware).
So if you have any of the following stuff laying around in your junk piles and you want to get rid of them, please
bring them along!

 * CD/DVD Drives (especially burners!)
 * Floppy Drives
 * Printers
 * Scanners
 * Any other "techno-crap" you want to bring will probably be put to good use.

Some of the projects that will put this old equipment to good use include:

I'm building a "Freedom Vending Machine" project that lets you pick a distribution you want to try and
it burns cds or dvds on demand with a robotic autoloader.  I've got enough parts to make this work, but
more burners would make it able to burn more things at once.  Also, if I can find enough suitable stepper
motors, I'm planning to add a tiny plotter that can label the discs with a sharpie once they are burned.
Once this is working I'll have it setup at future NOVALUG meetings if you want to try a new distribution
without all the time it takes to download it over a slow connection.

If we get a large enough surplus of these components (and enough time with all the other projects going
on) we're planning to build something else as a participatory project for anybody interested in learning
more about robotics and electronics.  Exactly what will be built hasn't been entirely decided yet (and
probably won't be until we figure out what kind of components we have to work with) but my suggestion
was for a CNC pancake printer.  Everybody loves pancakes!

Jason Kohles, RHCA
Palantir Technologies | Forward Deployed Engineer
jkohles@palantir.com<mailto:jkohles@palantir.com> | 703.957.5784