[Novalug] Guruplug?

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 11:30:42 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com> wrote:

> Been looking at replacing my big server with something smaller/easier to
> deal with for home. Right now all this thing really does is provide
> samba and nfs using an external 1T drive. And some very basic X10 stuff
> for light control.

I have 2 Tonidoplugs and a Guruplug.   One Tonido has 2x 1 TB drives
connected via a USB2 hot-swap enclosure; I'm using it for household network
storage.  The 2nd Tonidoplug is running additional web stuff - playing with
it as a LAMP server if I ever get time.  The Guruplug is the model with
wifi, eSata, and multiple USB ports. I was going to use it as the file
server but Tonido was shipping immediately while the Guruplug took 5+ months
(ordered in May, arrived mid October).  Other than verifying it works, I
have not had time to do anything with it yet.

Has anyone used the Sheeva/Guru plug computers? There is no serial port
> but I figured I could use a USB->serial adaptor and make it work. Then
> use the USB for the external drive, eventually moving to the eSATA. Its
> just me, so not like I'm really pushing data through the thing.

I'm very pleased with the Tonidos. I have not used their web interface
software much beyond admin functions, but I did test the ability to set up
file and directory shares for other people.  A nice feature of their
software (which can run on non-plug Linux & Windows systems) is remote
access via a redirect service.  Encrypted (https) connections work.  Easy
way to make selected files available over the internet.  I have not played
at all with the notes, calendar, and media streaming features.  Their backup
(Tonido to Tonido) was flakey the last time I tried it; a recent upgrade may
have fixed it.

There's enough development activity that useful applications like rsync (for
backup use) are available.

> Read many good things but hoping for a little personal experience/review.

I can recommend the Tonidoplugs.  There are some other plug-based systems
out there; one (I forget the name) provides a samba server for plug-in
drives and has shown up on Newegg for under $50.   A coworker (techincal but
not linux-savvy) has one and said it was very easy to setup and has been
reliable.

I have not worked enough with the Guruplug to have much to say about how
well it works.  Delivery was incredibly slow, and there may be a temperature
problem with them - my unit has a small fan attached that is surprisingly
loud - so much for using it as in the room media server.  I may use it or
the 2nd Tonidorplug as a myth backend (someone has figured out how to get
myth working on the plug architecture), and the ethernet + wifi capability
would make it a usable firewall/router.

The Tonidos have one USB port, so you need a powered hub for anything much
more than a flash drive.  The Guru has multiple connections, but I'd still
use powered devices to not put too much of a draw on the plug's power
supply.  The Tonidos have no way I can see to connect a serial port; maybe
internally with serious surgery I am not going to attempt. The Guru has a
serial capability if you buy the interface hardware from the vendor.  SSH is
part of the software load for both systems.  I believe the plug software is
derived from Debian, rebuilt and stripped down for the plug architecture.

The company that sells the Guruplug had plans to sell a version with an HDMI
connector, which might be my choice for a video/home media/myth front end.
However, given the amount of noise from the fan and their slow ship time, a
cheap netbook might be a easier and better approach.

Drop me a line if you have more questions.

Steve