[Novalug] Seagate Momentus XT hybrid Drive

Bryan Seitz seitz@bsd-unix.net
Fri May 28 21:23:01 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 04:55:15PM -0400, American Dave Kline wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:41:24AM -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>
> >    Kudos for the RAID10 format. I recently worked with a groups that used
> >    RAID5 with a spare. Geeze.
>
> RAID 5 gets dogged a lot, though in practice it works quite well.  It's
> a good compromise between array size, speed, and reliability.  A hot
> spare as well can buy you a bit more reliability.  As the devices per
> array grows, RAID 5 makes less sense since the chance of having
> concurrent failures grows.
>
> I often see RAID levels get brought into technical religious battles,
> when the time is almost always better spent optimizing the system as a whole.

   Agreed, nothing wrong with RAID5, especially when the number of disks is not too large.
If data integrity is more important you can use Raid6 in this situation.   Modern hardware
raid controllers with cache and battery can perform quite well in a raid5 configuration.
RAID10 is definitely the speed king however with a capacity of N/2 it is quite expensive.

--

Bryan G. Seitz